Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I'm a Digital Native...Sorta

At this point, I would pretty much consider myself a digital native. I use all sorts of digital media and social networking in order to promote my band in any way I can. Like most media, the music industry and promotion is almost entirely driven by the internet. It is the easiest way to connect with literally millions of people because so much of the current American population has internet access and utilizes devises such as smart phones in order to "stay connected" to friends, news, and popular music. I would consider myself internet savvy, but at the same time I think I'm still fairly foreign to the cell phone. I've had the same phone for 5 years. Almost everyone else I know has had a different phone every year. I don't know how to use T9. Every text takes at least a minute, you might as well call me if you would like to communicate with me through a phone.
In terms of websites and social media, I am very comfortable using Facebook and Tumblr. I have spent alot of time learning about these websites and am now able to post regularly on them but it has taken me a long time to get there. I find these sites helpful when I am touring with the Rice Cakes in that I can keep all of our friends, family, and fans up-to-date on any and all news. If any one is ever wondering, "I wonder what state the Rice Cakes are in today" they can find the answer to that on our various social networking sites.
I also have found myself using the internet to keep myself updated on news throughout the world. A friend of mine turned me on to Al Jazeera this past year and it is my goto, non-biased, news network. I enjoying reading and viewing news on this website because it's focus is the news as it actually exists, not in the propaganda forms in comes in throughout the US.

Here's video of me playing an acoustic version of the song "She Loves You" by the Beatles. I was on tour in April in California and this video was filmed by my boyfriend Paul on my friends balcony overlooking LA. It was a super pretty setting, you can see the city lights in the background, like little stars.

2 comments: