Monday, March 8, 2010

Notes on Glee

Where to begin.
Well, I honestly am confused after watching Glee. I'm a bit bewildered because I can't decide if the show is funny or not or whether it is attempting to be ironic. It is of course a comedy on my least favorite channel FOX (although the Simpson's have always rocked) so it already has a few points going against it in my opinion. The stereotypes are obviously suppose to be entertaining and characters an audience could potentially identify with. I think we have all seen these same themes in countless teen movies; Mean Girls, The Breakfast Club, Clueless, 10 Things I Hate About You, and the list goes on.
As for the content within the show, I found it all very predictable, dull, and offensive.
The discussion of the hierarchy of the social status's within the school sounded and looked a lot like this clip to me. It's a scene from Mean Girls in which the new girl befriends two of the schools "freaks" who tell her about the social order of the school.

As for the characters on Glee, I don't think this show could be any more politically incorrect and stereotypical.
Quinn is the quintessential bitchy cheerleader who torments everyone around her. She is beautiful in every fake and mass produced way.
Kurt is "the gay guy". He loves fashion, singing, dancing...is there anything new or original about this character? Hopefully in class we can discuss the large amounts of encouragement of stereotypes this show includes.
Rachel is the perfect, sort of preppy-nerd, who has a crush on the hot guy, who has a hot girlfriend, therefore Rachel doesn't stand a chance. I knew everything about Rachel the second she came on screen. I can't tell if the show wants you to assume things about these characters or if there is suppose to be more mystery.

This show is a clear example of just how much media matters. Each individual character represents someone that everyone in modern mass media culture can identify with. Many of these characters were made by cinema and TV shows and have been shoved down our throats in teen related entertainment for years. I am sick of all of it. I can only see this show as one in a million because there are so many others just like it. Is is just me or do all of these stereotypes seem to be invading our actual reality? It is as if our culture has normalized and institutionalized these ideas about self image. Sometimes I feel that teens are acting out parts they are told to play through the media.





1 comment:

  1. I totally agree that teens (and people as a whole) are acting out parts they are told to play through the media. Spot on!

    ReplyDelete